2.10.2012

"Working" Momma

I typically use my blog to remember key things about our lives, but today I want to remember what it was it was like as a working mom of two under two.  Maybe next year at this time I will look at this post and miss the days of exhaustion. (I'm almost positive that I will miss it!)

My Babies


I decided to put working in quotations because truly whether you work outside of the home or your occupation is stay at home mom, it is both work!  Never have I agreed more with that until I had 2 children under two at home all day every day while I was on maternity leave.  I was tired!  And quite frankly, it wasn't until the end of my maternity leave that I figured out how to at least somewhat get things accomplished while feeling like I was giving both of my children the attention they needed.


Now I am back at work, and wow it is even more exhausting!!  Lauralyn is 3 months old, and Lawson is 22 months.  My day starts at 5:00 am (or sometimes 2:30 am when Lauralyn doesn't want to go to sleep after her middle of the night feeding), both kids are in bed by 8:30 pm to 9:00 pm and I'm typically asleep by 9:30.  Between diapers, feedings, washing bottles and pumping equipment, packing lunches, laying out clothes, packing two diaper bags, cooking dinner, cleaning up after dinner, cuddling, bathing, playing.....there is little time for anything else!  Laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, sleeping in(I wish) is done on the weekends.  Jarrett is a HUGE help.  We do pretty much all chores together, so that makes it a little less time consuming. 

I'm exhausted right now, and have to take it day by day.  It is just for a "season" right?  I constantly have to remind myself to enjoy each day and to remember the big picture.  AND spring break is just around the corner, and I can not wait to spend the week at home with my babies.  I know it won't be nearly as exhausting as it was when Lauralyn was a newborn.

All that being said, I enjoy working (I'm a high school business/technology teacher) and I LOVE being a mom.  I'm not sure that I would change anything about our life right now (well maybe if LL would become a better sleeper at night).  We have been blessed with amazing childcare and  I believe I am right where the Lord wants me to be.  I truly feel blessed to be able to have a career and a family.

It is all worth it when I have a moment to hold both of them and Lauralyn is smiling with her entire face while Lawson is saying "momma" a hundred times and pulling my hand to come play with him.  These are the moments that make my heart want to burst! 

6 comments:

Marcie said...

I can't imagine how tired you get. But you sure do have 2 cuties to come home too! They are just precious!

Brandie said...

Visiting from Kelly's - I'm a teacher and a mom of two as well! Mine are four years apart though...good luck to you!! Whew!

Kate said...

Teacher and mom of just one for now. Don't know how you do it!

Ashley said...

Visiting from Kelly's Korner! LOVE that you are counting down to Spring Break. I always kid (not really, ha!) that I live from one break to the next. God Bless!

Southern Queen of the Crazies said...

Aw, cute babies you have!

Lindsay said...

I LOVED this post, Amanda! I am with you...I am content where I am in life, and love that I can have a career AND family. Its so refreshing to hear that from a friend..most people who work are trying to find ways to stay home...so it is nice to hear that someone else enjoys both. And I am tired all the time with ONE child and working...you are an inspiration! :)